Country: Venezuela | Humanitarian Crisis Facts and OAA Plans
OAA’s strategy of working with local FBOs has proven to be effective in countries like Cuba and Central America. In keeping this strategy, OAA has engaged with Corazones de Esperanza (CDE) a charitable/health foundation in Venezuela to initiate collaboration efforts towards the objective of providing humanitarian aid to Venezuelans. CDE has 14 community kitchens, staffed by volunteers and operating from centrally located churches. CDE has 174 volunteers operating community kitchens and conducting all logistics and distributions activities. OAA fully vetted CDE and concluded that CDE is ready to manage the distribution of humanitarian aid sent from the US. CDE has logistics procedures established to clear significant quantity of humanitarian goods. CDE manages various storage facilities and conduct rapid distribution of aid to thousands of vulnerable persons, registered in a database. Besides the community kitchens, CDE is distributing small amounts of dehydrated packages of rice and other food products and supplies. Local purchase is also implemented, baskets with local procured products include: rice, sugar, cooking oil, and other basic products.
Current Geographic Coverage in Venezuela
Geographically, CDE serves in rough areas of the capital city Caracas, as well as the west region in Maracaibo, “La Guajira”, Ciudad Ojeda and Falcon. In process are the border in Cucuta and San Antonio del Táchira.
- La Pastora
- El Mamón
- La Colmena
- Tierra Roja
- Barrio Amparo
- San Francisco
- Barrio Las Tarabas
- Barrio Teotiste de G
- La Guajira (Chino Julio)
- Mene Mauroa
- San Antonio
Facts and Logistics Procedures
- No large amount of humanitarian assistance in containers can be shipped to Venezuela due to government restrictions.
- Currently, around 3500 Venezuelans are receiving food relief through CDE.
- 46 churches have requested to be added to the distribution network, but remain on stand-by move until new funds and food is secured.
- Port in Maracaibo and La Guaira would be the main two ports for containers destination and clearance.
- CDE has three storage facilities: two in Maracaibo and one in Caracas. Trucks are available for distribution.
List of medicines of high priority
Medical supplies for dialysis
Treatment of irritated skin
Cold relief medicines
Pain Relief medicine (Tylenol, Ibuprofen)